I have renamed the famous HRT Cake “New Mum Cake” as it is packed full of hormone balancing phytoestrogens which will be really beneficial in the first few weeks after birth. Get a kindly relative or friend to bake it for you!
Ingredients for the New Mum Cake:
- 100 gr. soya flour
- 100 gr. wholemeal flour
- 100 gr. rolled oats (porridge oats)
- 100 gr. linseeds
- 50 gr. sunflower seeds
- 50 gr. pumpkin seeds
- 50 gr. sesame seeds
- 50 gr. almond flakes
- 100 gr. cranberries (270 gr. jar) drained
- 200 gr. chopped, dried, non-soak apricots
- 2 inches stem ginger, chopped
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon malt extract
- 3 tablespoons apple or pear concentrate
- 425ml soya milk
- Put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir.
- Add the cranberries, concentrate and milk and mix well.
- Leave to soak for at least ½ hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (180°C hot air).
- Line a loaf tin ( 30 x 11 cm ) with baking paper and spoon the mixture into it.
This should have a soft dropping consistency, if not, add a little more milk.
- Cook in the pre-heated oven for about 1 hour 10 mins.
- Test with a skewer to see that it is cooked through.
- Slice and freeze the amount not for immediate use
(three days supply can be kept in the fridge ).
- Makes approximately 15 slices